isp/cdn caching

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Mon Oct 2 18:49:11 UTC 2017

*nods* I'm obviously a bit biased, but I have some reasoning behind it. Also, this is excluding large scale networks like Comcast, AT&T, Charter, etc. that do have the scale to have on-net solutions. It's also excluding remote locations where there may not be another node for hundreds or thousands of miles (Alaska, Hawaii, Caribbean, etc.)

There are some CDNs that are pushing out on-net boxes and PNIs to networks with relatively low usage. We've had networks that were in the process of joining the IX get approached by one of the CDNs for a box right on their network. That network had under 1G of usage (IIRC) and was joining an IX where the CDN was already present. The network declined the box because they didn't want something else to manage and would already get the service anyway once on the IX.

Also, from my understanding of multiple CDNs (nothing really proprietary, just whatever's been made public) is that different nodes have different content. The more traffic a node gets, the more likely they are to have the content the end user seeks. Some CDNs also have different platforms on different boxes. If an ISP has one box, they may not even have access to all of the platforms that would be available in a several box deployment. In these cases, an IX makes more sense.

We've also had CDNs go the PNI route to a network. Sure, a PNI beats an IX in that it cuts out a middle man (fiscally and point of failure). However, if the networks wouldn't use a substantial portion of the IX port in the first place, it's an extra cost that small networks may not have room for or have to choose between a PNI and an IX.

Per the last message, Cloudflare seems to have a similar philosophy. Join existing infrastructure where it makes sense, deploy additional nodes otherwise.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange