Incoming SMTP in the year 2017 and absence of DKIM

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Nov 29 21:27:39 UTC 2017

In article <20171129183535.GB18534 at UCSD.Edu> you write:
>As I see it, the problem isn't with DKIM, it's with the
>implementation of DMARC and other such filters.  Almost all
>of them TEST THE WRONG FROM ADDRESS.  They compare the Author's
>address (the header From: line) instead of the Sender's address,

Sigh.  I have my differences with the people who designed DMARC but
they are not stupid and they really do understand the relevant RFCs.
Some of them even wrote some of those RFCs.

The reason they look at the From: line is that's the one recipients
see.  The Sender: header was a nice idea but in practice, it's not
useful.

R's,
John