Incoming SMTP in the year 2017 and absence of DKIM

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 18:18:31 UTC 2017

Anecdotal experience. I'm subscribed to a lot of mailing lists. Some pass
through DKIM correctly. Others re-sign the message with DKIM from their own
server.

>98% of the spam that gets through my filters, which comes from an IP not
in any of the major RBLs, has no DKIM signature for the domain. My theory
is that it does introduce somewhat of a barrier to spam senders because
they are frequently not in control of the mail server (which may be some
ignorant third party's open relay), nor do they have access to the zonefile
for the domain the mail server belongs to for the purpose of adding any
sort of DKIM record.