Definition of ISP vs Transit provider

Siegel, David Dave.Siegel at centurylink.com
Mon Nov 27 20:24:44 UTC 2017

Though not an industry standard definition, we've defined them at a product level where I work.  These have changed somewhat over the years, but pretty much fall along the following lines.

IP Transit: A wholesale product that does not include IP Addresses, email address, DNS, or any other "value-added" services.  When customer has filed a 499-a, collection of USF surcharges is waived.  Availability is typically limited to a sub-set of the total POP footprint and generally does not include access backhaul on our network.

Dedicated Internet Access: A product generally sold to businesses that includes IP addresses, recursive DNS, and 5 domain names.  Available across the whole of the footprint and pricing includes backhaul on our network, but not off-net (3rd party) backhaul.  USF is always assessed.  (email and usenet services are defunct with our service, but I'm sure many still offer email).

I can see the second product definition for DIA being a pretty good match for your ISP definition, be that consumer broadband or what have you, with minor modifications.

FWIW, hope that's helpful.

Dave

Dave Siegel
Vice President