Broadcast television in an IP world

Wayne Bouchard web at typo.org
Sun Nov 19 04:25:58 UTC 2017

Where the content is increasingly becoming on-demand, no, multicast
isn't going to benefit folks that much. The delivery is going to
pretty much remain single-stream based strictly on the time
differential from one user's start point to the next even if they are
both watching the same episode.

So local broadcasters can benefit, yes, but the problem is that
content consumption is moving rapidly away from the schedule-based
paradigm.

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 06:56:38PM -0500, shawn wilson wrote:
> Besides Netflix, does anyone else offer CDN boxes for their services?
>
> I'm also guessing that most content won't benefit from multicast to homes
> too much?
>
> I can see where multicast benefits sports and news (and probably catching
> commercials for people). But in a world where I'm more than happy to pay
> Amazon $25-40 a show/season to avoid commercials, I'm guessing
> live/broadcast TV will get even less popular (I get news via YouTube - so
> that's not even live for me anymore).
>
> On Nov 17, 2017 18:03, "Luke Guillory" <lguillory at reservetele.com> wrote:
>
> > This use to be the case.
> >
> > While it might lower OPX that surely won't result in lower retrans, will
> > just be more profit for them.
> >
> > We're down as well on video subs, this is 99% due to rising prices.
> >
> > This is where it's heading for sure, in the end it will cost more as well
> > since each will be charging more than the per sub rates we're getting
> > charge. They'll have to in order to keep revenue the same.
> >
> > When ESPN offers an OTT product I have no doubt it will be near the $20
> > per month, for 5 channels or so?
> >

> > Luke Guillory
> > Vice President ??? Technology and Innovation
> >
> > Tel:    985.536.1212
> > Fax:    985.536.0300
> > Email:  lguillory at reservetele.com
> >
> > Reserve Telecommunications
> > 100 RTC Dr
> > Reserve, LA 70084

> > Disclaimer:
> > The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for
> > the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
> > confidential and/or privileged material which should not disseminate,
> > distribute or be copied. Please notify Luke Guillory immediately by e-mail
> > if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from
> > your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
> > error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
> > arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Luke Guillory therefore does
> > not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this
> > message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. .

---
Wayne Bouchard
web at typo.org
Network Dude