Broadcast television in an IP world

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 13:17:30 UTC 2017

It does for delivering live content. Local programming, news, sports,
C-SPAN, etc. Canned program content such as TV series, not so much.
On-demand not at all.

Our network carries a lot of streaming content. We have no multicast
because we offer no TV. But the customers will occasionally stream live TV
directly from broadcasters.

Why would I implement multicast? Does it even save me any money when the
network has to be dimensioned to handle a day with no major live event with
everyone just doing the usual streaming? A person watching live TV is
usually not watching on demand at the same time.

The same argument goes for the broadcasters. They need a CDN that will
handle peak load at a time were most are watching on demand. The same CDN
server can handle the times were most viewers are watching live TV.

Right now we probably have TV broadcasters that only do live TV. I do not
see that as being the future. And in any case I would not front the bill
for them by implementing multicast in my network just so they can save a
little on the CDN.