GCSC critical infrastructure protection questions: your input needed.

George William Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 06:53:59 UTC 2017

That's a good question.

Part of the problem is that the line between defense and offense, between intelligence gathering and attacking is more muddy than with "real weapons".  Movies aside, you don't do intelligence gathering with guns in peacetime.  Bringing guns makes it paramilitary operations and is or borders on an act of war, shots fired or not.

If we just define cyber operations as weapons then most of what gets done is on that border.  Independent ops (criminal, commercial) from state A into state B can lead to claims of A harboring terrorists.  If that keeps up, B may legitimately take offensive real world responses.  Like droning a hacker house or hostile cyber intelligence company.

Actions like Microsoft disabling botnets remotely approach incidental acts of war worldwide.

Accidentally doing damage in the course of non offensive intelligence gathering becomes MUCH worse.

Government workers/ military who've been engaged in those activities may be seized as terrorists if they travel abroad.

Gets ugly fast.  Not simple.

-george
Sent from my iPhone