media are reporting "major Internet outage"

Andree Toonk andree+nanog at toonk.nl
Tue Nov 7 18:01:55 CST 2017

Yah as mentioned by others, lots of chatter on the outages list.

In short, starting at 17:47 utc level3 started leaking a whole bunch of
more specifics, mainly for various comcast ASns but also others like for
example AS10481 (Argentina)

Many of these more specific announcements for large network such as
comcast were picked up by other large network such at Tata, NTT, Liberty
Global (UPC) and as a result  caused a major traffic shift, resulting in
a choke point somewhere along the way.

One an example is the prefix 98.242.128.0/17 which is normally not
visible, only as the larger block 98.192.0.0/10 (AS7922).

Yesterday it was visible as 98.242.128.0/17 originated via another
comcast AS (20214), with transit via level3.

Good replay and visual of the timeline here:
https://stat.ripe.net/widget/bgplay#w.resource=98.242.128.0%2F17

Cheers
 Andree

My secret spy satellite informs me that Miles Fidelman wrote On
2017-11-06, 6:45 PM: