Cisco NCS5501 as a P Router

Ben Cornish benc at overthewire.com.au
Mon May 29 00:44:53 UTC 2017

We are currently looking at the 5501 as a BGP'less super Core / P router
configuration - as a replacement for the troubled 6840 platform.
Curious who is running these with Brocade LSP's running through them ?
I'm not overly convinced these are the right platform yet and happy to take
direct feedback.

We followed Cisco Recommendation on installing 6840's into our Core as P
routers / BGP'less Super Core and had nothing but issues with them.
Wrong forwarding labels / stuck LSP's. / heaps of Optics problems.
Only to be told later that MPLS-TE Auto-Tunnel won't be coming to the
platform either.  We’ve been pretty unhappy with that platform.

Seems the Cisco code can't handle new LSP mid-point creations with the same
LSP ID.
We currently have an issue around Brocade wanting to recalc and LSP
path(midpoint failure), but wanting to use the same LSP id to create it-
Cisco's want it to expire out first.
Cisco sees this particular issue as Brocade not understanding the RFC  - yet
Brocade say the same thing ...

Curious of anyone out there today using NCS5501's with Brocade LSP's
transiting them ?