Arista hardware health and environmental nagios plugin

Nathan Schrenk nathan at schrenk.org
Fri May 19 22:15:14 UTC 2017

Bas,

Arista EOS supports ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB and exposes temperature sensors, etc,
via that MIB so you should be able to use any NAGIOS plugins that can pull
ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB data for environmental monitoring. For example,
https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/Hardware/Others/check_
entPhySensorValue/details
I haven't used that specific NAGIOS plugin myself -- it just turned up when
I searched and looked like it would do the job.

To find the index of the temp sensor(s) you want to monitor (e.g. CPU, back
panel, front panel, etc) you can drop into a bash shell on your Arista
switches and run something like "snmptable localhost
ENTITY-MIB::entPhysicalTable" and look at the entPhysicalDescr column to
see the available sensors. The actual sensor values are provided in
ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB::entPhySensorTable.

The indices in entPhySensorTable are constructed by
adding entPhysicalContainedIn + entPhysicalParentRelPos. For example, on my
switch I see a sensor named "Back-panel temp sensor" with
entPhysicalContainedIn=1100006000 and entPhysicalParentRelPos=3 so the
index into the ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB::entPhySensorTable would be 1100006000+3 =
1100006003:

$ snmpwalk localhost ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB::entPhySensorTable |grep 100006003
ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB::entPhySensorType.100006003 = INTEGER: celsius(8)
ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB::entPhySensorScale.100006003 = INTEGER: units(9)
ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB::entPhySensorPrecision.100006003 = INTEGER: 1
ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB::entPhySensorValue.100006003 = INTEGER: 326
ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB::entPhySensorOperStatus.100006003 = INTEGER: ok(1)
ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB::entPhySensorUnitsDisplay.100006003 = STRING: Celsius
ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB::entPhySensorValueTimeStamp.100006003 = Timeticks:
(1063007379) 123 days, 0:47:53.79
ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB::entPhySensorValueUpdateRate.100006003 = Gauge32: 5000
milliseconds

The entPhySensorValue value of 326 means 32.6 degrees Celsius because
entSensorPrecision=1 (meaning entPhySensorValue equals "degrees C times
10").

Nathan