Carrier classification

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Tue May 16 04:10:53 UTC 2017

On 5/15/17 10:01 PM, Ken Chase wrote:
> so cogent has no routes to some amount of v6? ie no routes
> to some prefixes?

it's easy enough to test

Test	Router Location	Hostname / IP Address

2607:f8b0:4005:801::200e
Go!
Tue May 16 04:00:27.010 UTC
% Network not in table

http://www.cogentco.com/en/network/looking-glass

They're not the sole provider with a hole in their routing table, nor is
that the only hole. I would probably choose not to single home behind
any nominally SFI carrier, but on the other hand how useful such carrier
is in the first place has a lot to do with can they offload the traffic
you choose to send them, which is a different problem and should be
assessed accordingly.