Question to Google

Damian Menscher damian at google.com
Mon May 15 14:55:41 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 7:06 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr>
wrote:

> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 09:20:17AM -0400,
>  Todd Underwood <toddunder at gmail.com> wrote
>  a message of 66 lines which said:
>
> > so implications that this is somehow related to Google dragging
> > their feet are silly.
>
> Implying that the root name server operators, or Verisign (manager of
> the .com name servers) did not test very thoroughly that everything is
> fine with their DNS service is just as silly.

I guess it's obvious they had different techniques for measuring the impact
of their changes.... Can you point to published studies where the root and
.com server operators analyzed Todd's questions?

"""
"didn't notice a problem" is woefully insufficient here.

how carefully was this measured?  how was it measured?  across what
diversity of traffic.  what was the threshold for "a problem" here.

different use cases have different tolerances for the kinds of bad user
experience that google is concerned about here, both in terms of percentage
and in amount of impact.
"""

As others have said, things will improve as more sites go dual-stack, and
google.com will enable dual-stack as soon as it's viable.  In the meantime,
we encourage our competitors to try. ;)

Damian