Question to Google

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Mon May 15 13:49:55 UTC 2017

Todd Underwood <toddunder at gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 8:43 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr>
> wrote:
>

>> There are many zones (including your isc.org) that have several name
>> servers dual-stacked, and they didn't notice a problem. Furthermore,
>> since the DNS is a tree, resolution of google.com requires a proper
>> resolution of the root and .com, both having IPv6 name servers.
>>

> "didn't notice a problem" is woefully insufficient here.
>
> how carefully was this measured?  how was it measured?  across what
> diversity of traffic.  what was the threshold for "a problem" here.

Agreed.  Most domain owners/zone admins probably would not notice this,
even if it was a very real problem for one or two ISPs.

But given that, I do wonder how such an ISP could provide any service at
all. As pointed out by Stephane, there are so many zones having dual
stacked DNS servers nowadays that one more or less makes little
difference.  Even if that zone is google.com.  The rest of the world are
dual stacked wrt DNS, with very few exceptions.

What about the root zone?  Or microsoft.com?  Or facebook.com?  No users
interested in either of those?  Only google.com?

Sorry, I do not buy the excuse.

Bjørn