GEO LOCATION

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed May 3 12:32:48 UTC 2017

> On May 3, 2017, at 8:27 AM, Chris Lane <clane1875 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> All
>
> We have several direct allocations from ARIN which we then provide smaller
> prefixes to our customers across the country. Our HQ is on the East coast,
> but many of our customers are on the West Coast. Trying to understand and
> fix some of my west coast customers GEO LOCATION issues as they are
> reporting for instance when running "speed tests" to Internet sites the
> location pops up as an East Coast server instead of West and more local.

A number of CDNs use tools like the DNS server/query source to identify where
the clients are.  If they are all using a centralized DNS server, some providers
will classify you as in one area vs another.

Consider using a different DNS query-source for east coast vs west coast
users.  Consider using tools like ECS (EDNS0-Client-Subnet) if possible to
provide hints to the various CDNs/Geolocation folks.

If you’re aware of a specific mis-charachtherisation, consider posting the
relevant DNS server information or IP ranges involved.

If you don’t know how to find your DNS server query-source, a tool like this:

https://cmdns.dev.dns-oarc.net/

Will help you find the information easily.

- Jared