Microsoft O365 labels nanog potential fraud?

DaKnOb daknob.mac at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 15:38:34 UTC 2017

Indeed, in more detail (which I omitted for simplicity), these checks are performed in a series of headers, the last of which is the From: header. I think the “envelope-from” is either the first or the second in this 5-point list.
That said, there are a lot of implementations out there that do not respect that and treat the From address as the sender whose honesty must be verified. Every time I send mail to a mailing list from my own domain, due to DMARC I get back several reports of SPF and DKIM fail, mainly because the mailing list messed up something.