EFF Call for sign-ons: ISPs, networking companies and engineers opposed to FCC privacy repeal

Joe Loiacono jloiacon at csc.com
Wed Mar 29 13:59:33 UTC 2017

Lowering barriers to entry is where the next political focus should be.

Joe Loiacono

From:   Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net>
Cc:     NANOG list <nanog at nanog.org>
Date:   03/29/2017 09:13 AM
Subject:        Re: EFF Call for sign-ons: ISPs, networking companies and
engineers opposed to FCC privacy repeal
Sent by:        "NANOG" <nanog-bounces at nanog.org>

I know most of the people in the thread have been doing this a long time,
the others I just don't know anything about them.

FWIW: Glass has been running an ISP for 20 - 25 years, has given
Congressional\FCC testimony, etc. He's not an industry slouch either, just
with a different political standing.

Certainly independents need better marketing machines, but the past 10 -
15 years, they've been beaten down pretty badly with the general public
flocking to the incumbents and the masochism that entails. As my ISP tries
to grow, in the same conversation I've had a property manager complain
about Comcast and then say they don't need me because they have Comcast. I
know that's not a technical battle.

Heck, I've been trying to hire a sales\biz dev guy for the better part of
two years. I never get anyone reasonable responding. One guy asked what
B2B was. We need those anchor enterprise, government, MDU accounts in an
area to justify the expense and low ROI of single family homes.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange