EFF Call for sign-ons: ISPs, networking companies and engineers opposed to FCC privacy repeal

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Wed Mar 29 10:48:11 UTC 2017

What is lost if AT&T or Comcast sells my anonymized usage habits?

Quite frankly I think targeting advertising is a great thing. On TV I see all kinds of commercials for medicine for diseases I've never heard of, old people complications I won't have for another 40 or 50 years, etc. Waste of my time, waste of their dollars. Targeted advertising brings me Hurricane Electric advertisements, network gear, servers, etc. Things I'm likely to be shopping for. Seems better in every way.

You'd have better luck getting regulation passed with precise language. The collected information can (or cannot) be used in these specific ways.

ISPs lying? Sounds like something for the courts, not capitol hill.

Otherwise it just sounds like whining. I don't like them either, but certain groups will do whatever they can do "get back" at AT&T, Comcast, etc. regardless of what flag they're flying at the time (privacy, net neutrality, doughnut selections, whatever).

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange