EFF Call for sign-ons: ISPs, networking companies and engineers opposed to FCC privacy repeal

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Tue Mar 28 18:45:04 UTC 2017

No ISPs have any right to market our customers browsing history, and currently that practice is illegal unless the customer opts in. In my opinion, only a fool wants to relieve ISPs of this restriction.

The claim oft presented by people favoring this customer abuse is that the sold data is anonymous. But it's been well-established that very simple data aggregation techniques can develop signatures that reveal the identity of people in anonymized data.

 -mel beckman