EFF Call for sign-ons: ISPs, networking companies and engineers opposed to FCC privacy repeal

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Mar 28 13:56:04 UTC 2017

Having worked networks with massive bandwidth, networks with a single T1 (don’t ask, just Google what a T1 is, er, was), and now being somewhere in the middle, I agree that the large guys sometimes forget the little guys exist. However, I think the change in privacy being proposed hurts -all- users, and disproportionately helps the large guys.

A tiny ISP with < 1 Gbps upstream does not have enough user data to sell or otherwise “monetize”, while the top 5-10 ISPs have a ready and willing market for their users’ data.

Which is why this is so strange. Mr. Glass’ ISP isn’t even a nat on the ass of national broadband ISPs. Not an indictment, like I said, I’ve run tiny networks myself. However, this change does not help ISPs in his position. Yet he is claiming the EFF is fighting for the big guy by opposing this change.

Color me confused. But then again, I am a not knowledgeable network professional, so I am probably just confused.

--
TTFN,
patrick