[NOC] ARIN contact needed: something bad happens with legacy IPv4 block's reverse delegations

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Mar 20 20:56:39 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Brett Frankenberger <rbf+nanog at panix.com>
wrote:

> If ARIN delegated 32.11.10.in-addr.arpa through 47.11.10.in-addr.arpa
> to a RIPE nameserver, there's no good way for RIPE to then delegate,
> say, 10.11.34.0/24 (34.11.10.in-addr.arpa) to the nameserver of the
> entity to which RIPE has allocated 10.11.34.0.  (Sure, it can be done,
> using the same techniques as are used for allocations of
> longer-than-/24, but recipients of /24 and larger reasonably expect to
> have the X.X.X.in-addr.arpa delegated to their nameservers.)

Hi Brett,

The last I tried it, the servers which the glue claims are authoritative
for a zone could assert that they themselves are not authoritative and
offer new glue for completely different servers asserted to be
authoritative. I had to fake a parent zone in Bind. This was before DNSSEC.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>