[NOC] ARIN contact needed: something bad happens with legacy IPv4 block's reverse delegations

Brett Frankenberger rbf+nanog at panix.com
Mon Mar 20 19:27:52 UTC 2017

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 09:27:11PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:

> > As to why DNS-native zone operations are not utilized, the challenge
> > is that reverse DNS zones for IPv4 and DNS operations are on octet
> > boundaries, but IPv4 address blocks may be aligned on any bit
> > boundary.
>
> Yes, deeply familiar with that problem. Are you dealing with any address
> blocks smaller than a /24? If the answer is no (which it almost certainly
> is), what challenges are you facing that you haven't figured out how to
> overcome yet? (Even < /24 blocks can be dealt with, obviously, but I'd be
> interested to learn that there are problems with /24 and up that are too
> difficult to solve.)

Hypotheically:

10.11.0.0/16 (11.10.in-addr.arpa) is managed by ARIN
10.11.16.0/20 is ARIN space
10.11.32.0/20 is RIPE space

If ARIN delegated 32.11.10.in-addr.arpa through 47.11.10.in-addr.arpa
to a RIPE nameserver, there's no good way for RIPE to then delegate,
say, 10.11.34.0/24 (34.11.10.in-addr.arpa) to the nameserver of the
entity to which RIPE has allocated 10.11.34.0.  (Sure, it can be done,
using the same techniques as are used for allocations of
longer-than-/24, but recipients of /24 and larger reasonably expect to
have the X.X.X.in-addr.arpa delegated to their nameservers.)

So, instead, RIPE communicates to ARIN the proper delegations for
32.11.10.in-addr.arpa through 47.11.10.in-addr.arpa, and ARIN merges
those into 11.10.in-addr.arpa.

One way for RIPE to communicate those delegations to ARIN is to put
then into some other zone, which ARIN could then zone-transfer.  But
ARIN would still need a process to merge the data from that other e
with the real 11.10.in-addr.arpa zone.  But that has the same risks as
the current process, which apparently communicates those delegations
via something other than zone-transfer.

     -- Brett