BGP Route Reflector - Route Server, Router, etc

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Mar 20 10:35:24 UTC 2017

On 14/Jan/17 00:39, Brandon Ewing wrote:

> One important thing to remember when migrating from full mesh to a RR design
> is that you are reducing information available to the routers in the ASN.
> When you had a full mesh, each router could select the best path from all
> available paths, according to its position in the IGP.  In a RR environment,
> by default, routers only have available to them the best routes from the
> RR's position in the IGP, which can lead to suboptimal exits being selected.
>
> Work is being done to allow RRs to compute metrics from the client's
> position in the IGP: See
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-optimal-route-reflection-13
> for more information

BGP-ORR is currently supported in Junos and IOS XR (ASR9000, I
believe... I haven't confirmed for other IOS XR platforms).

I'm getting Cisco to add support for it in IOS and IOS XE (CSR1000v).
I'm now dealing with the usual "How large is the customer's spend for
this feature" nonsense. BGP-ORR, I feel, is one of those features that
doesn't need a business case - much like ketchup at a fast-food joint.

That the IOS XR PI team have it in there and the IOS/IOS XE PI teams
don't highlights the depth of the fundamental problem over at Cisco-land.

Mark.