[NOC] ARIN contact needed: something bad happens with legacy IPv4 block's reverse delegations

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Sun Mar 19 19:28:59 UTC 2017

On 03/18/2017 10:53 PM, John Curran wrote:
> On 19 Mar 2017, at 12:50 AM, Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us
> <mailto:dougb at dougbarton.us>> wrote:
>> Meanwhile, my offer to help y'all fix your DNS was a sincere one. Feel
>> free to hit me up off list.
>
> Doug -
>
>   You’d want to make that offer to the RIPE NCC

My offer was in response to your assertion that normal DNS techniques of
delegation were not sufficient to the unique problems ARIN has to deal
with in regards to the address space you manage delegations for.

Subsequent to our conversation however, Shane Kerr was kind enough to
explain the problem that the "zonelets" are designed to solve:

https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/dns-wg/2017-March/003406.html

Short version, ARIN maintains foo/8, but bar/16 within it is managed by
RIPE, who wants to delegate it directly to the registered party for that
block. They use a zonelet to tell ARIN how to do that.

As you have indicated that ARIN will not make any changes to its
existing practices without specific instructions from RIPE, I will offer
my suggestions to them instead.  :)

best,

Doug