Government agency renting or selling IP space

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 01:08:31 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 7:39 PM, Mel Beckman <mel at beckman.org> wrote:
> Bill,
> Is there a technically a restriction preventing swiping of this IP space when it's being rented? How is that different from an ISP swiping  its customers that are renting bandwidth?

This is a difference between an "Allocated" block of addresses to an
ISP and an "Assigned" network prefix belonging to a end-user.

End-User Orgs typically lack technical ability to create re-assignment
records showing a different
organization,  b/c  they have IPs assigned for a specific network....

 ISPs / Co-location providers who are ARIN members with Allocated addresses
can Re-Allocate to a downstream ISP or Assign a network prefix from allocated
space to a downstream End-user organization.

An End user can likely show they're an ISP, join ARIN as an ISP member,   &
request  Direct Assignments from ARIN be combined into new Allocations;

If the character of the network changes,  I would expect the new ISP
may have to show information to ARIN establishing that the change to
an ISP Allocation  will be consistent with the NRPM requirements.....

(Seeing as Assignments to End-Users and Allocations to ISPs have
different  policies  for creation described in the NRPM,  and there's
no mention in the Policy they can be directly converted  without a
Transfer or Renumber/Consolidate  or Return & renumber....)

--
-JH