Purchased IPv4 Woes

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Mar 13 00:52:15 UTC 2017

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017, Pete Baldwin wrote:

>    So this is is really the question I had, and this is why I was wanting to
> start a dialog here, hoping that it wasn't out of line for the list.  I don't
> know of a way to let a bunch of operators know that they should remove
> something without using something like this mailing list.     Blacklists are
> supposed to fill this role so that one operator doesn't have to try and
> contact thousands of other operators individually, he/she just has to appeal
> to the blacklist and once delisted all should be well in short order.
>
>    In cases where companies have their own internal lists, or only update
> them a couple of times a year from the major lists,  I don't know of another
> way to notify everyone.

I suspect you'll find many of the private "blacklistings" are hand
maintained (added to as needed, never removed from unless requested) and
you'll need to play whack-a-mole, reaching out to each network as you find
they have the space blocked on their mail servers or null routed on their
networks.  I doubt your message here will be seen by many of the "right
people."  How many company mail server admins read NANOG?  How many
companies even do email in-house and have mail server admins anymore? :)

Back when my [at that time] employer was issued some of 69/8, I found it
useful to setup a host with IPs in 69/8 and in one of our older IP blocks,
and then do both automated reachability testing and allow anyone to do a
traceroute from both source IPs simultaneously, keeping the results in a
DB.  If you find there are many networks actually null routing your
purchased space, you might setup something similar.