Purchased IPv4 Woes

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 17:53:46 UTC 2017

Den 12/03/2017 kl. 18.14 skrev Brielle Bruns:
> http == TCP
> DNS == (usually) UDP
>
> Big difference here.  One requires a three way handshake
> tearup/teardown, the other does not.
>
> It is not an apples to apples comparison.

You can replicate (download) the whole WHOIS if you need to. There is
also no requirement that removal from reputation lists is instant. We
would be good if it happened just within a month or even half a year.
The situation now is however that you will never have it removed and
many reputation services will ignore you if try to contact them for
manual removal.

At least in the RIPE managed space there IS a reliable way to know for
sure who owns a block. Can you know that the new owner is any better
than the old? Of course not, but that is true even for "fresh" address
space.

I am not a fan of reputation services that blacklist forever. It is just
wrong and open for abuse of power. But not much I can do about that
other than not using their service.

Regards,

Baldur