Purchased IPv4 Woes

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Sun Mar 12 15:20:59 UTC 2017

Chuck,

* Chuck Church (chuckchurch at gmail.com) wrote:
> Maybe a silly idea, but shouldn't the sale of a block of addresses (RIR ownership change) trigger a removal of that block from all reputation list databases?  If I buy a car from a police auction, I'm fairly sure the FBI doesn't start tailing me, because the car was once used for less than legal purposes.  New owner, clean slate.

That would be an awful easy way to allow people to game the entire
reputation list system by simply creating more companies and passing
ownership around.

This could work if the system "knows" that the buyer isn't going to
use the netblock for spamming, but that's next to impossible to do in
any kind of automated fashion.

Thanks!

Stephen