Verizon wireless to stop issuing static IPv4

Constantine A. Murenin mureninc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 05:31:15 UTC 2017

On 08/03/2017, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net> wrote:
> Seems to me that the only people who get static, wireless, IP addresses
> are people who put sensors on vehicles and IoT applications.  Who gets a
> static IP for a phone?  This might cause some serious heartburn for my
> previous employer - who built CAD systems for transit buses.
>
> Miles Fidelman

With how much memory and processing power any modern
internet-connected device has, plus the ever ubiquitous cloud, I don't
understand why IoT, especially non-consumer-grade IoT, should have any
need for public IPv4 addresses.

Even if you have a very legacy app, and IPsec is too complex for your
needs, doing an SSH session with OpenSSH and its port forwarding
feature is just too simple to pass up.  http://mdoc.su/o/ssh.1

I mean, come on, if malware vendors have no need for public IP
addresses to take control of your IoT and perform C&C, you're clearly
doing something wrong if your own shit doesn't work without it.

Cheers,
http://Constantine.SU/