Verizon wireless to stop issuing static IPv4

Ca By cb.list6 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 03:39:04 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 7:10 PM Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 9:27 PM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Seems to me that the only people who get static, wireless, IP addresses
> > are people who put sensors on vehicles and IoT applications.  Who gets a
> > static IP for a phone?  This might cause some serious heartburn for my
> > previous employer - who built CAD systems for transit buses.
> >

> on the bright side they can just get fios or dsl (depending on location) ..
> you know you can still get v4 there, and won't even have to worry about
> that pesky new fangled

The economics of this is very interesting.

Normally, with scarcity, i would expect price to go up.  VZW is running low
on ipv4  addresses, so they raise prices to stem demand. They acquire ipv4
on the secondary market and pass cost along with mark up to customers ....

But -- vzw knows if they raise prices customers will just go elsewhere.
Also, their growth model simply may show that there is no way to meet
demand with ipv4, ipv4 is fundamentally holding back iot growth, so they
need to pivot / move to ipv6 to unchain the growth.

Seems smart. The runway for ipv4 is too short for iot growth. Forcing the
hand to scalable ipv6 now will pay dividends and prevent investment in
unscalable ipv4 solutions