WEBINAR TUESDAY: Can We Make IPv4 Great Again?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Mar 6 16:12:01 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 3:08 AM, Joly MacFie <joly at punkcast.com> wrote:
> To say that Mr. Chen's EZIP proposal has not, thus far, been received with
> open arms by the networking community would be an understatement. It is
> seen as delaying the inevitable and introducing an impractical extra
> routing hardware layer that will be hit & miss. Nevertheless, since much of
> the world is still IPv4 dependent, it just could take off. ISOC-NY is happy
> to give him the opportunity to expound on its merits.
> We'd welcome some expert respondents.
>
> See:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chen-ati-ipv4-with-adaptive-address-space-00

Hi Joly,

If something like this was going to happen, we could have expanded the
v4 address space to 64 bits with IPxl:
http://bill.herrin.us/network/ipxl.html

At this point IPv6 has enough momentum that it can be safely expected
to happen. That means all proposals for extending the IPv4 address
space are basically dead in the water, especially complicated ones.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>