Consumer networking head scratcher

Mark Wiater mark.wiater at greybeam.com
Wed Mar 1 21:18:28 UTC 2017

On 3/1/2017 11:28 AM, Ryan Pugatch wrote:
> At random times, my Windows machines (Win 7 and Win 10, attached to the
> network via WiFi, 5GHz) lose connectivity to the Internet.  They can
> continue to access internal resources, such as the router's admin
> interface.
To the point of Windows reporting no internet access, MS does two things
to determine if the machine has internet access, as outlined here.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766017(v=ws.10).aspx (I
think that's still valid)

 From a console, can these two machines do the http request and the dns
lookup when they tell you they're offline?  Can the other machines do
these two things when the Windows machines can't or when the windows
machines report offline?