Consumer networking head scratcher

Ryan Pugatch rpug at lp0.org
Thu Mar 2 02:22:52 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017, at 06:35 PM, Jean-Francois Mezei wrote:
> On 2017-03-01 11:28, Ryan Pugatch wrote:
>
> > At random times, my Windows machines (Win 7 and Win 10, attached to the
> > network via WiFi, 5GHz) lose connectivity to the Internet.
>
> > For what it's worth, the router is a Linksys EA7300 that I just picked
> > up.
>

> Way back when, I have a netgear router. It ended having a limit on its
> NAT translation table, and when I had too many connections going at same
> time (or not yet timed out), I would lose connection. There was an
> unofficial patch to the firmware (litterally a patch in code that
> defined table size) to increase that table to 1000- as I recall.
>
> Does the Linksys have a means to display the NAT translation table and
> see if maybe connections are lost when that table is full and lots of
> connections have not yet timed out ?

It doesn't seem to provide visibility into the NAT tables.  However, I'm
starting to think you might be on to something.

The issue actually happened to my Mac tonight, and sure enough the
traceroute dies at the same time.  So, it isn't just the Windows
machines impacted.

I did a packet capture on my end, and on a server somewhere that I
control and sent pings from my laptop to the server.

The server received my ICMP packets and responded, but those responses
never made it back to my laptop.

Meanwhile, my Roku is actively streaming from the Internet, so it's not
like the Internet was down.