Consumer networking head scratcher

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Mar 1 19:57:28 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Ryan Pugatch <rpug at lp0.org> wrote:
> So in that case, I would be back to my original issue where I stop being
> able to pass traffic to the Internet, and when that happens my
> traceroute always dies at the same hop.  After disconnecting and
> reconnecting, the same traceroute will go all the way through.

Hi Ryan,

Next step: run Wireshark and see what you see during the traceroutes.
Are they leaving with a reasonable TTL? Is it certain that nothing
returns? Are the packets going to the ethernet MAC address you expect
them to?

I had a fun problem once when I cloned some VMs but neglected to
change the source MAC address. They all seemed to work under light
load but get two downloading at once and suddenly they both
experienced major packet loss.

Regards,
Bill

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us