Point 2 point IPs between ASes

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jun 29 03:26:20 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 9:10 PM, Olivier Benghozi <
olivier.benghozi at wifirst.fr> wrote:

> Well, /112 is not a stupid option (and is far smarter than /64): it
> contains the whole last nibble of an IPv6, that is x:x:x:x:x:x:x:1234.
> You always put 1 or 2 at the end, and if needed you are still able to
> address additional stuff would the point-to-point link become a LAN.
> And you don't throw away billions of addresses like with /64.

Hi Oliver,

You can always put 1 and 2 at the end on a /124 as well and add additional
devices. These are the same advantages of /124 over /126. And /124 doesn't
suffer from ND exhaustion attacks like /112 might. The only thing /112 buys
you (that I can see) is a single colon in front of the final digit. I don't
see how /112 would be a good choice.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us