Point 2 point IPs between ASes

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 28 15:03:01 UTC 2017

Hello,

The common recommendations for IPv6 point to point interface numbering are:

/64
/124
/126
/127

/64:
Advantages: conforms to IPv6 standard for a LAN link
Disadvantages: DOS threats against this design. Looping on a true ptp
circuit. Neighbor discovery issues.

/124:
Advantages: supports multiple routers on each end of the circuit. Conforms
to nibble assignment boundary that helps keep address assignments clean and
comprehensible.
Disadvantages: ancient hardware that barely supports IPv6 may have trouble
efficiently handling routes longer than /64.

/126:
Advantages: equivalent to an IPv4 /30 with exactly the same functionality.
Disadvantages: equivalent to an IPv4 /30 with exactly the same
functionality.

/127:
Advantages: saves that extra pair of IP addresses.
Disadvantages: complicates configuration just to save two IPv6 addresses.

Enhancements:
For /124, /126 and /127: allocate all of your addresses for every router in
the system from the same /64. Use router ACLs to control entry of packets
directed to that /64. Nice clean way to stop hackers from poking at your
routers.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us