Long AS Path

Michael Hare michael.hare at wisc.edu
Mon Jun 26 15:08:52 UTC 2017

Couldn't one make the same argument with respect to filtering private ASNs from the global table?  Unlike filtering of RFC1918 and the like a private ASN in the path isn't likely to leak RFC1918 like traffic, yet I believe several major ISPs have done just that.  This topic was discussed ~1 year ago on NANOG.

I do filter private ASNs but have not yet filtered long AS paths.  Before I did it I had to contact a major CDN because I would have dropped their route, in the end costing me money (choosing transit vs peering).

In the end, it is indeed risk vs reward, with risk being undefined behavior.  It's plausible to speculate that not every path length bug has been squashed (or might not be re-introduced).

-Michael