IPv6 traffic percentages?

Lee Howard lee at asgard.org
Fri Jun 23 15:09:23 UTC 2017

On 6/22/17, 3:00 AM, "NANOG on behalf of Radu-Adrian Feurdean"
<nanog-bounces at nanog.org on behalf of nanog at radu-adrian.feurdean.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 22, 2017, at 08:18, Mukom Akong T. wrote:
>>
>> On 18 June 2017 at 17:36, Radu-Adrian Feurdean <nanog at radu-
>> adrian.feurdean.net> wrote:>> so for the record, business customers are
>>much more active in
>>>  *rejecting* IPv6, either explictely (they say they want it
>>>  disabled) or>>  implicitly (they install their own router, not
>>>configured for
>>>  IPv6). The>>  bigger the business, the bigger the chance of rejection.
>>

>> Did they per chance state their reasons for rejecting it?
>
>Not explicitly. But when we get something like "turn off that IPv6 crap
>!" we take it for: - they don't have a clearly defined need for it
> - they don't know how to deal with it
> - they don't want to deal with things they don't need (see the
>   irst point)... usually all of them at the same time.

That is my experience, too. When I was in IT, my response was to block
IPv6 at the firewall (until I learned my firewall was incapable of
examining IPv6 packets and therefore allowed ALL IPv6; I wasn’t allowed to
change firewalls so I used a router ACL to block it while I reviewed our
IPv6 security policy and looked for another job). When I was at an ISP, we
could route IPv6 to the customer, but until they enabled it, no traffic
would follow.

>To make it short : education. And we as as small ISP we have neither the
>resources, nor the motivation (because $$$ on the issue is negative) to
>do it (the education).

I think you’re talking about business education, not technical IPv6
education, right?
I recently posted my suggested technical reading list:
http://www.wleecoyote.com/blog/IPv6reading.html

But I think you’re asking for a business education series that goes:
1. Enterprise business consideration of IPv6
   a. It’s already on your network. All computers, tablets and phones have
at least Link Local, and some set up tunnels. Plus, if your employees have
dual-stack at home but single—stack VPN, you may not like your split
tunnel.
   b. Lower latency.
   c. Using IPv6 in interesting ways, like Segment Routing, Terastream bit
masking, IPv6 address as process ID.
   d. IPv4 runout doesn’t matter much to most enterprises. They only need
a couple of addresses for new branch offices. Those enterprises who have
their own IPv4 address block (from RIR, not ISP/LIR) should consider how
much they could sell it for. At $15/address, a /16 approaches US$1
million, which is real money to most CTOs.
http://www.wleecoyote.com/blog/2017prices.htm

2. Enterprise IPv6 implementation guidance
  a. https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7381  “Enterprise IPv6 Deployment
Guidelines”
  b. Cost to Renumber and Sell IPv4
http://retevia.net/Downloads/EnterpriseRenumbering.pdf

I’ll see if I can write up #1 into a single paper or blog post in the next
few days. Anything else I should add?

Lee