PCIe adapters supporting long distance 10GB fiber?

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 15:15:06 UTC 2017

The real question here is: will my NIC support other SFP+ modules than the
few options carried by the NIC vendor?

For example Intel claims the Intel NICs can only accept SFP+ modules by
Intel. They probably do not make optics themselves and only have few
options available. And indeed if you put in a third party optic it will be
rejected.

There are two ways around that. One is finding a device driver with vendor
check disabled. The other option is to get optics that pretend to be Intel.

You can get optics with vendor ID many places. A good place to start is
Fiberstore fs.com because they have public pricing on the website.

With the vendor id the answer to the question is that all NICs with SFP+ I
ever heard about will support any range, WDM or other special SFP+ module.

Regards,

Baldur