DWDM Mux/Demux using 40G Optics

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Mon Jun 19 18:51:35 UTC 2017

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 13:26:55 -0500, Colton Conor wrote
[snip]
> Maybe I should just ditch the 40G QSFP+ optics and use all 10G optics,
> but the switches I am using have 48 10G SFP+ ports and 6 QSFP+ ports
> built in. I know there are 40G breakout cables, but the whole point of
> 40G is to aggregate VLAN/circuits.

Depending on switch vendor, it might be possible to create real 40GE interface
also from 4 consecutive 10G SFP+ ports. Then you can use standard 10G CWDM/DWDM
SFP+ optics and still benefit from wire-speed 40G uplinks.

Note that this is *not* etherchannel/LAG, but true HW-based 40GE mode.

    M.