Vendors spamming NANOG attendees

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Jun 14 01:58:08 UTC 2017

In message <F7E1F127-E971-4E92-AF44-13193BD0E27F at beckman.org>, Mel Beckman writes:
> Mark,
>
> The problem with your idea is that these NANOG attendee emails aren't
> illegal under CAN-SPAM. This toothless Act let's anyone email any address
> they want, however obtained, with virtually any content (except sexually
> explicit), as long as they don't use misleading headers, deceptive
> subject lines, or obscure the fact that the email is an ad. Those
> features, plus clear identification of the originator and an opt-out
> mechanism, let anyone send unlimited spam.

The act of harvesting the email addresses is illegal which makes
the subsequent emails illegal even if they meet all the other
requirements of the CAN-SPAM act.

> So, in reality, these so-called NANOG spammers are within the law. We
> just don't like what they're doing.
>
> We definitely can't sue them as you advise. In fact, individual CANT use
> under CAN-SPAM. Only we network operators can.
>
> Thanks for nothing, Congress.

As someone with stonger local anti-spam legislation that has to put
up with the spam from US sources I have to agree.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org