Vendors spamming NANOG attendees

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Tue Jun 13 18:07:08 UTC 2017

On 6/13/17 1:12 PM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> That excuse stopped being viable sometime in the last century.  They know
> exactly what they're doing, they're just counting on the prospective
> gains to outweigh the prospective losses.  If they're right, then the
> spamming will not only continue, it will increase.  (As we've seen:
> over and over and over again.)  That's because they don't care about
> being professional or responsible or ethical: they only care about profits.

Isn't that why we all work in this industry? Sure it's fun, but at the end of
month it's that sizable deposit in our checking (or chequeing) accounts.

> So the choice is clear: either make it plain to such "people" (if I
> may dignify sociopathic filth with that term) that this is absolutely
> unacceptable and that it will have serious, immediate, ongoing negative
> financial consequences, or do nothing while the problem escalates
> indefinitely.
>
> 	If you give people the means to hurt you, and they do it, and
> 	you take no action except to continue giving them the means to
> 	hurt you, and they take no action except to keep hurting you,
> 	then one of the ways you can describe the situation is "it isn't
> 	scaling well".
> 		--- Paul Vixie, on NANOG

It's vendor spam.  It's annoying, but it's not life or death.  Educate/shame,
and move on.  When it happens the second time, then get your pitchforks and
rifles out :)

how I feel about it:
https://i.imgur.com/v7SJdmq.png

--