Vendors spamming NANOG attendees

Rodney Joffe rjoffe at centergate.com
Tue Jun 13 15:19:46 UTC 2017

> On Jun 13, 2017, at 9:02 AM, Mel Beckman <mel at beckman.org> wrote:
>
> Rodney,
>
> What do you suggest? Shoot them at Dawn? :-)
>
> The standard warning and education has always been adequate in the past. We don't have a runaway spamming problem on the list.

What standard warning and education?

We have filters to stop spam making it to the list.

But there is definitely a spamming problem of sorts amongst vendors, to subscriber addresses.

I see something every couple of months that I can track back to NANOG, or ARIN.

What I *know* is that if you open the door, and ignore it with vendors on NANOG, the list members will end up having a problem. If you want to know why I consider myself an expert, feel free to ask me offline about what the attitude that those of us who ran "the backbone" in 1994 had - and how that worked out.

On the other hand, as a senior citizen, at the end of my tech days, with enable grudgingly given up, I guess I could turn away and say "not my problem, really".

YMMV.