IPv4 Hijacking For Idiots

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Tue Jun 6 06:25:56 UTC 2017

On 06/06/2017 03:20, William Herrin wrote:

Ronald,

Here is how I would do it:

1.  As you noted in your first email in this thread, find an abandoned
ASN, lets call it AS12345, with a POC of support at acme.com
2.  Create a domain called acme-corp.com and a user called peering
3.  Contact an IX, preferably not one in a Westernized, clueful area:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_exchange_points
4.  Using peering at acme-corp.com, state that you are AS12345 and you wish
to join their wonderful IXP and to bring you router to their IXP for
peering purposes and to pay full membership dues.
5.  In general, not much due diligence will be done, since all Acme is
requesting is to colo their router in the same room/floor/building as
the IX and the IX is always trying to increase membership.  Not every IX
in the world is as diligent as LINX (example):
https://www.linx.net/join-linx/joining-procedure
6.  In the event the IX does ask for some documentation, create a logo,
forge a few documents, create a nice corporate landing page with the
logo, etc.    Remember, the ASN hijacker will have done their homework
and shy away from clueful IXs.
7.  Pay your membership, bring your router to the IX and install it
8.  IX announces to all members about the existence of a new IX member.
9.  Major/large peers will shy away from small unknown ASNs, but there
are always many smaller IX members who are willing to peer with you
simply by sending them an email.
10.  Of the 56 IX members at clueless IX, 18 have peered with you within
a week and you have established your bona-fides.  You are now in your
way to growing your business :-)

Regards,
Hank