Russian diplomats lingering near fiber optic cables

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Sat Jun 3 18:13:35 UTC 2017

On 02/06/2017 19:46, valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Jun 2017 15:11:36 -0000, Rod Beck said:
>
>> Landing stations can be 10 to 30 kilometers from the beach manhole. I don't
>> think it is big concern. Hibernia Atlantic dublin landing station is a good
>> example.
> So 100% of those beach manholes are watertight and safe from flooding, and
> don't contain any gear that will get upset if it does in fact end up with
> salt water in there?
>
> This listing for landing points in Japan seems to call out a hell of a lot of
> specific buildings that are nowhere near 10 to 30 km inland:
> https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Siy5qBMoFyBUlSFNHdHDpGAkIR0
>
> Singapore: Right on the water.
> http://www.streetdirectory.com/sg/singapore-cable-landing-station/1-changi-north-rise-498817/8118_79569.html
>
> Hong Kong:  More of same (though with its hills, some of the 8 sites may
> actually be a bit above sea level even though they're 2 blocks from water)
> http://www.ofca.gov.hk/en/industry_focus/telecommunications/facility_based/infrastructures/submarine_cables/index.html
>
> Cryptome has a bunch of older images that tend to indicate that a lot of
> buildings right on the water in New Jersey and Long Island are involved:
> https://cryptome.org/eyeball/cable/cable-eyeball.htm
>
> And that's just in the first 3 pages returned by Google for "cable landing station
> map".
>
> The experience of the Manhattan phone system when the conduits and basements
> flooded during Sandy tends to indicate that we *are* in for similar
> surprises over the coming decades.

I think you are missing the point.  The issue is not the actual landing
station but the actual *exact *path the cable takes from 100meter out at
sea to the landing station.  For that you need GPS coordinates down to a
3' level as the fiber snakes its way from shore into the city.   I do
not believe that is available on the Internet and is only available to
the actual company that laid the cable.  One can try to deduce the path
by looking for manhole covers but that would require opening and
physically inspecting.

-Hank