Russian diplomats lingering near fiber optic cables

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Fri Jun 2 03:35:26 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2 Jun 2017, Scott Christopher wrote:
>> But, its odd to send diplomats to remote areas of the country, if you are
>> not trying to survey geographic infrastructure in the middle of the
>> country.
>
> It's just "for show."
>
> If they really wanted to be invisible, they could do so without using
> diplomats - a group that is always assumed to be under location
> surveillance.

Yep, which is why its odd.  It would be much easier to hire one of the
construction companies which lay fiber routes to prepare a nation-wide
survey for them.  Or hack their computer servers containing GIS maps.

Maybe diplomats get bored, and like yanking the FBI's chain for sport.
They have diplomatic immunity, so the risk is very low.

I'll admit, I did visit the Geographic Center of the U.S. (lower
48-states) in Lebanon, Kansas.  It was very nerdy, but something to check
off the list.  I only have 6 U.S. states left to visit for another item
to check off the list.  Maybe Russian diplomats have a bucket list too?