Solarwinds Orion/NPM business hours 95th percentile query

Jesse McGraw jlmcgraw at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 20:02:05 UTC 2017

( I'm not sure if this will be generally useful, but I needed it so I
thought I'd share in case others may too )

I have a system that uses Solarwinds NPM/Orion to collect interface
utilization data from devices scattered around the globe and I found
myself needing to calculate 95th percentile values from it that only
takes into account local business hours (i.e. no weekends or nights).

After much googling and banging around on the keyboard this is the query
that I came up with.  As it stands you have to manually adjust the query
for the timezones of the SQL database itself and the various devices
you're querying, it would be smarter to add a custom field for each
device representing its UTC offset and use that value in the query but I
haven't made that happen yet

I am certainly no SQL maestro so I've also put it into a github
repository in case anyone has ideas on how to improve it or fix any
silly mistakes I've made

https://github.com/jlmcgraw/sql_queries_for_solarwinds_orion/blob/master/solarwinds_orion_95th_percentile_business_hours_sql_query.sql

--Jesse

-- This is a query to calculate 95th percentile statistics for bits in,
bits out,
-- and a new column that is the max of bits in vs. bits out for each sample
-- only for business hours (i.e. excluding weekends and hours before /
after work
-- hours)
--
-- Edit the "WHERE" statement in the
"InterfaceTraffic_Detail_BusinessHours" CTE
--  to choose which devices you're querying
--
-- Developed/tested with
--  Microsoft SQL server 2014

-- To Do
--  Document adding a custom column with a UTC offset for each device
and modify
--      this query to use that value instead
--  Account for standard vs. daylight savings time

DECLARE @SampleOffset Float
DECLARE @TargetDeviceOffset Float
DECLARE @TargetPercentile Float
DECLARE @StartBusinessHours Float
DECLARE @EndBusinessHours Float

-- The UTC offset of the timezone the samples are stored in
-- (i.e. where the database is)
SET @SampleOffset = -4.0

-- The UTC offset of the timezone where the target devices are
SET @TargetDeviceOffset = -4.0

-- Target percentile as a decimal
SET @TargetPercentile = 0.95

-- When do business hours start ( 0700 = 7am )
SET @StartBusinessHours = 7

-- When do business hours end ( 1800 = 6pm )
SET @EndBusinessHours = 18
;

WITH
     InterfaceTraffic_Detail_BusinessHours AS (
         -- Create a CTE showing only business hours data
         -- Also adding a MaxBps column
         SELECT
              i.DateTime
              ,i.interfaceid
              ,i.[In_Maxbps]
              ,i.[out_Maxbps]
             ,MaxBps =
                     CASE
                         --Use whichever is greater of IN vs. OUT
                         WHEN Out_Maxbps > In_Maxbps THEN Out_Maxbps
                         ELSE In_Maxbps
                     END

         FROM
             [swnpm].[dbo].[InterfaceTraffic_Detail] as I
             INNER JOIN [swnpm].[dbo].[Nodes]  as N
                 ON (n.NodeID = [i].NodeID )

         WHERE
             (n.SysName LIKE '%pattern1%'
             -- or n.SysName LIKE '%pattern1%'
             -- or n.SysName LIKE '%pattern2%'
             -- or n.SysName LIKE '%pattern3%'
             -- or n.SysName LIKE '%pattern4%'
             )
             AND
             (
             --    This adjusts for both the timezone of the samples and
the target device
             -- Not Saturday or Sunday after adjusting for timezones
  (DATEPART(dw,DATEADD(hh,- at SampleOffset+@TargetDeviceOffset,DateTime))
<> 1 AND
(DATEPART(dw,DATEADD(hh,- at SampleOffset+@TargetDeviceOffset,DateTime)) <>
7) )
                 AND
             -- Between @StartBusinessHours and @EndBusinessHours after
adjusting for timezones
  (DATEPART(Hour,DATEADD(hh,- at SampleOffset+@TargetDeviceOffset,DateTime)) >= @StartBusinessHours AND (DATEPART(Hour,DATEADD(hh,- at SampleOffset+@TargetDeviceOffset,DateTime)) <= @EndBusinessHours))
             )

         )
,
     Percentile_IN as (
         -- A CTE that builds on InterfaceTraffic_Detail_BusinessHours
for calculating
         -- the chosen percentile value for each interfaceId
         SELECT
           t.InterfaceID,
           -- The smallest value in the chosen percentile
           --
http://www.dummies.com/education/math/statistics/how-to-calculate-percentiles-in-statistics/
           Min(CASE
             WHEN seqnum >= @TargetPercentile * cnt
               THEN
                 [In_Maxbps]
           END) AS percentile
         FROM (
             SELECT
               t.*,
               ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY t.InterfaceID ORDER BY
[In_Maxbps]) AS seqnum,
               COUNT(*) OVER (PARTITION BY t.InterfaceID) AS cnt
             FROM InterfaceTraffic_Detail_BusinessHours t
             ) t
         GROUP BY t.InterfaceID
         )
,
     Percentile_out as (
         -- A CTE that builds on InterfaceTraffic_Detail_BusinessHours
for calculating
         -- the chosen percentile value for each interfaceId
         SELECT
           o.InterfaceID,
           -- The smallest value in the chosen percentile
           --
http://www.dummies.com/education/math/statistics/how-to-calculate-percentiles-in-statistics/
           Min(CASE
             WHEN seqnum >= @TargetPercentile * cnt
               THEN
                 [out_Maxbps]
           END) AS percentile
         FROM (
             SELECT
               o.*,
               ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY o.InterfaceID ORDER BY
[Out_Maxbps]) AS seqnum,
               COUNT(*) OVER (PARTITION BY o.InterfaceID) AS cnt
             FROM InterfaceTraffic_Detail_BusinessHours o
             ) o
         GROUP BY o.InterfaceID
)
     ,Percentile_max as (
         -- A CTE that builds on InterfaceTraffic_Detail_BusinessHours
for calculating
         -- the chosen percentile value for each interfaceId
         SELECT
           m.InterfaceID,
           -- The smallest value in the chosen percentile
           --
http://www.dummies.com/education/math/statistics/how-to-calculate-percentiles-in-statistics/
           Min(CASE
             WHEN seqnum >= @TargetPercentile * cnt
               THEN
                 MaxBps
           END) AS percentile
         FROM (
             SELECT
               m.*,
               ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY m.InterfaceID ORDER BY
MaxBps) AS seqnum,
               COUNT(*) OVER (PARTITION BY m.InterfaceID) AS cnt
             FROM InterfaceTraffic_Detail_BusinessHours m
             ) m
         GROUP BY m.InterfaceID
)
SELECT
     Nodes.NodeID
     ,Interfaces.InterfaceId
     ,Nodes.SysName
     ,Interfaces.Caption AS Interface_Caption
     ,InterfaceSpeed
     ,Percentile_in.percentile  AS in_percentile
     ,Percentile_out.percentile AS out_percentile
     ,Percentile_max.percentile AS max_percentile
     , UTC_offset = @TargetDeviceOffset
     , SYSDATETIMEOFFSET () as Date

FROM [swnpm].[dbo].[Nodes]
     INNER JOIN [swnpm].[dbo].[Interfaces]
         ON (Nodes.NodeID = Interfaces.NodeID )
     INNER JOIN Percentile_in
         ON (Interfaces.InterfaceId = Percentile_in.InterfaceId)
     INNER JOIN Percentile_out
         ON (Interfaces.InterfaceId = Percentile_out.InterfaceId)
     INNER JOIN Percentile_max
         ON (Interfaces.InterfaceId = Percentile_max.InterfaceId)

ORDER BY
     SysName, Interface_Caption