ISP billing - data collection, correlation, and billing

Michael Krygeris me at krygerism.com
Sun Jul 16 16:35:34 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 4:48 AM Lee Howard <lee at asgard.org> wrote:

> Depending on the capability of the exporter, you don't need to export full
flow information. With Cisco's Flexible Netflow you can define the
aggregation in the flow cache you are monitoring. You are not required to
use a 7-tuple.
An aggregation could be something basic like this:
Source interface
Destination interface
Octets
Packets

This would give you SNMP equivalent for byte accounting on interfaces
without requiring full flow accounting IF you're not forced to do sampling
and IF you have flexible netflow.

Another much more recent method around SNMP (sorry SNMP, I'm over you) is
streaming telemetry, which is part of Netconf/YANG/OpenConfig.
This is more of a push method for these yang data models(the relevent one
here being snmp interfaces table).
It already exists on some Juniper and Cisco platforms.
Mike Krygeris