Datacenter powering

James Braunegg james.braunegg at micron21.com
Thu Jul 27 03:13:10 UTC 2017

Dear Graham

Happy to provide information as I love datacentre infrastructure along with the fact our design was awarded Uptime Institute Tier IV Accreditation.

At a very high level we have 3 switch rooms (R1, R2 and R3)

Switch Room 1

Has two ATS (one primary one backup)  both ATS are feed directly from street power

Room 1 ATS A is connected to Generator A (Active)

Room 1 ATS B is connected to Generator B (Standby)

Downstream from Room 1 ATS A and B is distribution board R1-A, R1-B and R1-C

Switch board R1-A and R1-B is IT load, switch board R1-C is mechanical load

Both switch boards R1-A and R1-B have their own dedicated UPS and provider power to all racks (Feeds R1-UPS-A and R1-UPS-B)

Switch Room 2

Has two ATS (one primary one backup)  both ATS are feed directly from street power

Room 2 ATS A is connected to Generator A (Standby)

Room 2 ATS B is connected to Generator B (Active)

Downstream from Room 2 ATS A and B is distribution board R2-A, R2-B and R2-C

Switch board R2-A and R2-B is IT load, switch board R2-C is mechanical load

Both switch boards R2-A and R2-B have their own dedicated UPS and provider power to all racks (Feeds R2-UPS-A and R2-UPS-B)

How it all works

The end result is each rack within the facility has four 32 amp PDU rails, where each rail is feed from an independent UPS via 4 independent and isolated cable paths.

Each PDU rail within each rack has 24 x c13 sockets where each C13 socket is metered, monitored (Web, API, Email and SNMP) & alarmed (Min / Max  on each socket) (amps, kwh, PF etc) so we know the exact power consumption on each socket on each PDU in each rack.

Each dual corded devices within any rack the device must be connected to both Room 1 and Room 2 to provide correct power redundancy.

For single corded devices we have a 1RU STS devices in each rack which takes protected power from both Room 1 and Room 2 to provide STS protected power to single corded devices if required.

Switch Room 3

Switch Room 3 has two ATS (one primary one backup)  both ATS are feed directly from street power

Room 3 ATS A is connected to Generator C (Active)

Room 3 ATS B is connected to Generator C (Standby)

Switch room 3 provides a third independent source of protected power to the datacentre if required for additional mission critical applications, and fully independent power to support backup cooling infrastructure.

If you want to know more we have some info graphics and more information on our website here - https://www.micron21.com/about-us/the-micron21-datacentre/

As for what would I change in our design, at this stage nothing... Planning and designing a datacentre infrastructure which meets your high availability requirements day one is key before you build.

Hope this helps provide you some information to review.

If you have any more questions please just ask.

Kindest Regards,

James Braunegg

[cid:image001.png at 01D280A4.01865B60]

1300 769 972<tel:1300%20769%20972> / 0488 997 207<tel:1300%20769%20972>

james at micron21.com<mailto:james at micron21.com>

www.micron21.com/<http://www.micron21.com/>

[cid:image002.png at 01D280A4.01865B60]<http://www.micron21.com/>

[cid:image003.png at 01D280A4.01865B60]<https://www.facebook.com/micron21/>

[cid:image004.png at 01D280A4.01865B60]<https://twitter.com/micron21>

Follow us on Twitter<https://twitter.com/micron21> for important service and system updates.

This message is intended for the addressee named above. It may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose it to anyone other than the addressee. If you have received this message in error please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer.