Temperature monitoring

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Wed Jul 19 02:33:16 UTC 2017

Agreed -- there are already tons of temp sensors throughout old and new
hardware. I've used SCSI drive queries via sdparm and more recently hddtemp
to get the current temperature of the drives. No need for SNMP or ILO,
though that can give you a more detailed picture where possible.

You first monitor and record for 24 hours to get your baseline temp for a
given rack or server, then set your threshold, then let your monitoring
platform do the rest.

Since I use hosted dedicated servers, I don't want to pay for yet another
device. In monitoring only those disk temps I've caught two cooling issues
before they became a crisis, one of which my hosting provider was not aware
of.

If you control the hardware, or at least have access to it, there should be
enough sensors to let you know at least something is causing a problem.

Beckman