ISP billing - data collection, correlation, and billing

Lee Howard lee at asgard.org
Sat Jul 15 14:47:08 UTC 2017

On 7/14/17, 2:47 PM, "NANOG on behalf of Luke Guillory"
<nanog-bounces at nanog.org on behalf of lguillory at reservetele.com> wrote:

>On the HFC / CMTS side of things we have IPDR which I believe has some
>open source collectors out there. I'm not sure that IPDR is used much
>outside of the HFC world though.

IPDR was my first thought as an alternative to SNMP. Is its accuracy
comparable? It’s been included into TR-069, so it’s theoretically
available to telcos, too. And usage-based billing is part of it’s purpose.

Not sure I’d want to use NetFlow/IPFIX, since by nature it tracks flows,
not bits, and I don’t want to record flows. But I’d be interested in
hearing others’ experience.

Lee